April 2, 2016 at 12:58 am #13390MikeDaciukMember
Hi There, I have utilized both wp-estore as well as the wp-emember plugin to create a membership website with two products, both recurring subscriptions, one for a single month, the other for a single year.
The issue is while reading through the tutorials I was under the influence the buy now button was the correct item to use and did not realize there is a specific subscription short coder which I learned in a different article.
The troubleshooting I need to ask for insight on is:
1. I have changed the product display to utilize a subscription button instead of a buy now button so this should rectify the issue in the future as I see PayPal subscription terms appear on checkout, I am wondering why there is no function to use a credit card through paypal when doing subscriptions. If you have any insight it would be appreciated.
2. Is there a way to automatically update the current subscribers that purchased the subscription through the buy now button as they are currently not being charged for their time after the initial duration expires due to the way the product and membership level is setup and instead have them setup with the subscription, or can I manually set an expiry date for them to be forced to renew at which time they would be able to subscribe correctly then I can reset the account after renewal of subscription to no expiry or until cancelled.
The website in question is [http://members.mikedaciuk.com]
Thank you for your time.
Please advise as I would really like to address this asap.April 2, 2016 at 5:04 am #72926adminKeymaster
1) The following posts will answer your question:
2) PayPal doesn’t allow you to magically put people on a subscription payment. They have to go through the subscription agreement process (and you can’t change an existing payment agreement either). This is to prevent any wrongdoing (with subscription payment) taking place.
The following is how I would handle this situation
a) First, create a NEW membership level where all these new subscription users will go to. You can use the exact same content permission for this new level (so members are getting the same permission). However, having this new level allows you to differentiate the old members (who signed up using buy now) and the new ones. This will be helpful.
b) Hook your new subscription button to this new membership level. So all the new members should be going to this new level and everything should work as expected for this bunch of members.
c) Now, you can look at your old membership and see how you want to deal with those users. With a buy now button, you should always be using a “Duration” type expiry (meaning the membership expires after a certain number of days or months or years). So just let their membership expire and then they can renew to your new membership level.
d) If there are a few old members that are in a messed up situation (payment wise), you can manually email them and sort something out. You can explain the situation then request them to go to your payment page and make a subscription payment if they want to continue the membership.
When a member pays using the new subscription button, their level will get adjusted to the new one and everything will get sorted according to the new stuff you want to do.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.