June 26, 2014 at 9:17 pm #11079
I have an issue with international characters.
I’m using “Collect Customer Input” input and if something is entered using an accented or international character (ñ, î, é, etc), the data from that character onward is not written to the customer_tbl in the database. (i.e. instead of “productName (samplétext)” the database field reads “productName(sampl”. The unknown character symbol replaces the non-ascii characters in the notification of product sale email as well as the post-transaction page on the website.
The database tables for products and customers ARE set to UTF-8 (I can manually enter special characters into the fields)
I went to PayPal and changed the language encoding to UTF-8 as prescribed here:
That did not solve the problem.
I set up a product with international characters in the name, and it shows correctly in the database, the website, and the email sent from the site (although other odd characters are showing up in random places elsewhere in the email.
The test product and customer input both show the unknown character symbol in both the post-purchase summary on the website and the notification of a sale email.
The text is correct in the PayPay receipt sent to the customer.
WP eStore Version v7.0.9
WP Version 3.9.1June 27, 2014 at 12:34 am #63950
Hi, Did you do a test transaction after you made the change in your PayPal account?
Can you please copy and paste the email content to give me an example of what you mean by the following?
Other odd characters are showing up in random places elsewhere in the emailJune 27, 2014 at 3:45 pm #63951
I did another test today (using paypal sandbox) using the name “billNuñez” and I still get the unknown character ( for example: “SAP Training Module 01 (billNu�ez) “) on the post transaction page and the Notification of Product Sale email. It’s recorded in the product_name in the customer table as “SAP Training Module 01 (billNu”
The email for this one came out normal, but it’s been edited since I saw the problem. The email I mentioned for the test product with the horribly unreasonably named “téstPrødüctñîøß å” had the extra characters:
[redacted]June 28, 2014 at 12:47 am #63952
There is definitely some weird issues going on. You have been using the plugin for a few weeks now and you did the following tweak:
When this this issue start?
We know 100% that our plugin can handle UTF-8 characters so I am trying to figure what has changed on your site that is causing this weird behavior to show.
Have you installed any new plugins recently?
Have you tried doing the following?June 30, 2014 at 4:15 pm #63953
I disabled all the other plugins I had installed, and I still had the problem.
I then did a ‘live’ test and names were entered into the database correctly. Apparently the problem was with sandbox.paypal.com.
After reactivating the plugins and doing more tests I was able to confirm that the problem only surfaced when using the sandbox account.
However, I’m not out of the woods yet, because the [wp_eStore_transaction_result:end] short code works with sandbox mode, but not with live transactions, but that’s a topic for a different thread.June 30, 2014 at 11:02 pm #63954
Please note that that PayPal account settings are completely different for the sandbox account and the live one (they don’t share anything). So don’t setup something up in the sandbox account and expect that setting to be there in the live one also.
The following post is helpful also:July 9, 2014 at 3:38 pm #63955
Thank you for the help. It’s all sorted now.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.