October 16, 2013 at 2:56 am #9858
Recently I have been getting complaints from customers who say their purchase download link is returning a zip file of zero length. I generated a link and downloaded the file and received the proper named zip file, but it has no content. I cut and pasted the path and name of the download path in the eStore setup to the product and the file downloaded properly. Now here is the kicker. A different product downloads correctly with the coded link.
I am not sure what caused this, but I have been using this plugin without a hiccup for a long time now and am not sure what to do. I just updated my plugin and the problem continues.
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.October 16, 2013 at 3:57 am #58348
Have you recently added any caching plugin to your site? This is a good post to check:
Also, review this checklist please:October 17, 2013 at 2:15 pm #58349
My site has been performing without difficulty for some time now and I haven’t changed a thing. This issue of a zero length zip is new. I did update my estore scripts AFTER the problem popped up thinking this may help. I will review the posts you suggest and report. A direct link to the file works and downloads as expected, the eStore generated link does not.
I changed the file name to all lower case and problem remains. Am quite confused as to where to turn now. Odd thing is other downloads working fine.October 17, 2013 at 10:54 pm #58350
Hi Paul, Something on the server level has changed but that doesn’t matter now. It will get sorted once you have gone through all our checklist. Have you completed the 5th checklist already?
This issue is happening for one particular estore product or all of them?October 18, 2013 at 7:01 pm #58351
Problem fixed, but not entirely understood. Breaking an 85MB file into two <50 mb files did the trick. What I am not certain of is why this failed now. There were no changes made to the system, digital content, etc. One day, this just broke and I don’t know why. The other smaller files didn’t fail, and my website delivers the data files if you enter the URL, but not if the secret URL generated by the eStore scripts are used.
PaulOctober 18, 2013 at 11:30 pm #58352
Basically, the available RAM of your server dropped below what was required to serve that 85MB file via encrypted download. The following documentation explains why the encrypted download is different than a standard download:
Even though you didn’t make any change doesn’t mean nothing changes on your server. Some hosting providers upgrade stuff (example: PHP, MySQL etc.) in the background without notifying the user. They could have also applied different configuration to the server.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.