July 6, 2011 at 11:24 pm #3734kmbradleyMember
I recently deactivated, deleted and reinstalled the emember plugin. I added a few members using the registration process on the website and everything working fine. Then I import a member to test out the import process. The record was added to the database without a problem and I could access the member via member edit using wp-admin. But when I tried to login on the website by entering the login and password that was imported, it would not work. There was no error message. So I changed the password using wp-admin to something else. And then the login worked.
This is not good because I need to import 800 members. I understand that the password is not encrypted when it is imported, but I expected it to work during the login process so that the members could reset their password using member update. Any ideas on why the imported password would not work or how to fix it?
KarenJuly 7, 2011 at 1:22 am #34022amin007Participant
The user password for eMember is not a plain text field so you can’t just enter a plain password text in the database and expect it to work. Its encrypted using the same encryption the is used by WordPress (it is a one way encryption). This guarantees that only the user will ever know the password. This is the best security practice for storing user password.
When you import your members you need to instruction them to use the “Forgot Password” feature (standard protocol) to reset their password once and then they can log into the site as usual.
The following is a standard practice after you have changed your user management system (or imported users to the system).
Send your users an email that says something like the following and tells them to reset their password.
1) We have switched to a new system which uses an industry standard practice for storing password.
2) So you need to reset your password before you can log into the system.
3) You can go to the member’s login page (share the link to the login page) and use the password reset link to reset your password.
4) After you log into the site, you can go to the profile edit page and update your password to something different.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.