October 31, 2010 at 6:41 pm #2145
So I’m working on tweaking my individual product pages, where I’m using the fancy 2 display and I had an idea.
I have no idea if this is possible, but I was wondering if, now that there is the ability to include multiple photos with each product, if it would be possible to include those smaller thumbnails below the main Thumb for the product.
Basically I was looking at my individual product layout here (http://www.spinozarods.com/store/bamboo-rods/leonard-8-6-3p-df50-red-wrap/) and trying to figure out if there were any better ways to use the space. The text doesn’t wrap around the current thumb very well in the current iteration, and I thought to myself, well, why not use that space underneath the main thumb for something besides product description text?
Anyway, I’m just thinking out loud here. Seems like it would be cool to indicate that there are multiple photos without people having to click on the main thumb to find that out.
Just a thought.
-JANovember 1, 2010 at 4:29 am #26013
“The text doesn’t wrap around the current thumb” – This is intentional… remember, not everyone will have the same length of description so when you have different products with different length of description the text alignment is very important so when multiple products are displayed in one page it doesn’t look ugly.
Yes, I want to add the ability to show small thumbnail below the big thumbnail for the additional images but I will add this in a new Fancy display (example fancy display 7).
Fancy display 2 is used by many people and changing it’s structure at the moment is not an option. So the only way to introduce this without affecting existing customers are to introduce a new display option.November 1, 2010 at 12:10 pm #26014
I totally understand. Best not to mess with the old if you can introduce something new that will fit the bill just fine.
Is “fancy display 7” actually live yet, or is this something that you’re anticipating doing down the road?
-JANovember 2, 2010 at 1:40 am #26015
I don’t have the design fully ready for fancy 7 yet. I will code it up once I find a design that I am happy with and the customers will like it.
BTW, you can always make a quick drawing of a fancy product display and send me the sketch. If I like it then I will add in as a fancy displayNovember 7, 2010 at 10:41 pm #26016
Okay, I’m working on a wish list of possible things to add. Here’s my preliminary one based on revamping/remaking fancy 2 or introducing a similar but separate style, perhaps fancy 7! (I’m generating this list based off of an example from the “test” portion of my site: http://www.spinozarods.com/store/classic-reels/hardy-st-george-jr-trout-reel/)
(1) Paragraph styling in the description area – is this even possible? Right now it just lumps all product description text together but it would be great if you could use basic styling there: i.e., bolding things, new paragraphs, center-aligning text, etc. This is especially an issue if your product description is long!
(2) Multiple thumbnails – I love that we now have the option of including multiple photos for a product which you can cycle through in lightbox. However, it would also be good for the customer to know off the bat that there are multiple photos. My idea is to have one lead thumb but then include several smaller ones in a small row right underneath that lead.
(3) Having two effective columns in the product div — so that way that the example above works there is a major area for product text but also a considerable column of space below the thumbnail area on the left. I’d love to be able to use that space to display things like variation, product quantity, “share via facebook twitter” links, links for reviews, perhaps short customer testimonials, etc… Basically all of the “extras” that don’t really fit in the product description area but which would also be strange to have outside of the fancy display.
(4) Separate thumbnail link URL’s for category pages and product pages — when you include a link for the product thumb this works well on the category page where there are lots of products listed. Someone clicks on the picture and this takes them to the individual product page. Once there however, and when they try to click on product photo it then “links” to the page that they’re currently on. So there should be some more granularity there.
Okay, that’s all I can think of for now. I bet you are sorry you asked for feedback!
I actually have a very rough mockup of what I have in mind if you’d like me to send it along — I think, though that some of this stuff would be helpful for other people and not just me!
-JANovember 8, 2010 at 12:20 am #26017
“Paragraph styling in the description area – is this even possible?” – You can use any HTML code in the product description area so feel free to add paragraph, bold etc tags in there.
Please send me the mockup and I will take a look and work towards introducing a fancy7 display.November 12, 2010 at 4:10 am #26018
I definitely don’t want to pressure you on this, especially since you’ve been so helpful, but I was just wondering if you had a rough, ballpark timeframe for if/when a “fancy 7” might be put together like the mockup I sent?
I need to roll out the new estore part of our site fairly soon so I’m trying to decide whether to roll it out now with fancy 2 or to wait for a possible fancy 7. Again, no pressure, I’m just trying to get my planning in order .
-JANovember 12, 2010 at 11:25 pm #26019
Yeah I had a look and I have a rough idea of what I am going to do for the fancy7. I should have something ready in a week.November 13, 2010 at 1:43 am #26020
Great, thanks so much. I’ll hold off until then before rolling out this part of the site.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.