Tips and Tricks HQ Support Portal › Forums › WP eStore Forum › Encrypted Download is Corrupted
- This topic has 3 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 12 years, 7 months ago by amin007.
August 26, 2010 at 11:20 pm #1743joegilderMember
I love your plug-in, but there seems to be a consistent problem. My customers are regularly getting “corrupted” files when they download the product via encrypted download links. Some customers don’t have a problem, but several do.
A friend of mine had the EXACT SAME problem with WP eStore. Is there a solution? I’d like to use WP eStore for all my products, but this makes me want to change to something like e-Junkie. I would LOVE to see how your customer service works. Thanks!August 27, 2010 at 6:41 am #23727amin007Participant
Hi, WP eStore is a solution that you install on your server so it can be affected by a lot of things:
– your server
– your theme
– other plugins that you are using
On the other hand, e-Junkie is a hosted solution so everything operates from their server which give them the ability to operate under a controlled environment.
One requires you to pay every month the other doesn’t.
So you can’t really compare these two solutions as they are different in nature. Depending on your situation one might be more suitable for you than the other.
With that said, corrupted downloads are not very hard to fix. Something on your server is upsetting the download process. We need to find out the pattern as to what triggers this special condition then fix that.
Here are a few questions for you:
– What type of files are you offering as download?
– How big are they?
– What version of eStore are you using?
– Have you noticed a pattern on when customers get this error? (are they on a slow connection? are all of them using the same browser who saw this error?)
– How is your server load? Are you on a shared server that is under heavy load?August 27, 2010 at 2:42 pm #23728joegilderMember
Thanks for the response!! You’re right, WP eStore seems like a MUCH better solution than e-Junkie. Lots of limitations with e-Junkie. One of the big draws to WP eStore is the encryption. It makes it easier not to have to set up a membership site for each product to protect the download files.
To answer your questions.
– File types = zip files
– File size = They range from 100 MB to 500 MB
– I’m using the latest version of eStore, just bought it last week. (v4.1.3)
– I can’t really see a pattern with the customers. One guy tried it on 2 computers and 6 different browsers.
– The server load on my website is fairly heavy, but all the files are being hosted on an Amazon S3 server.August 28, 2010 at 1:02 am #23729amin007Participant
The following combination is one possible suspect:
Large file download under heavy server load.
Even though your files are hosted on Amazon S3 remember the client is not downloading directly from amazon when they use the encrypted link. The plugin is streaming the file for added security. Since the plugin is running on your server it can still be affected by the server load. For example, if your RAM usage gets high the server starts to randomly kill the currently running scripts in an effort to free up some RAM.
Lets do a test… can you please uncheck the “Downloadable” checkbox for this product and do a few download test then let me know if you still get the occasional corrupted file download.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.