January 28, 2015 at 10:39 pm #12136icmSpectator
I think this is more of a best-practices question, but it could bleed over into feature request territory. I tried searching on this subject on the internet, but got a lot of noise about downloading YouTube videos which is completely unrelated.
We are selling videos in .mp4 format to clients who may not be very computer literate. I have the files in an Amazon s3 bucket, and things are working as planned.
The potential trouble comes after purchase. An email with the link goes out to the customer with an encrypted link to the download (same as the generate link made in the Admin Functions). Copy/pasting this link into the address bar of different web browsers results in different behaviors. In Chrome, it starts to download the file. In Firefox, I get the option to play in a player or download, although I have had it just start playing in the browser window, and I was able to save the page(video) when it was done downloading. In IE it downloaded into the browser window and played it with quicktime and the “save as” options were greyed out (people would need quicktime pro to download it). I disabled the quicktime addon for the browser and now it downloads it and just shows a black box with an X in it like an image can’t be displayed.
When I run into something like this I’ll just make a simple html page and put the link in it, but I can’t expect my customers to know how to do that.
The encrypted link also shows up on the purchase summary page where I can simply instruct someone right click and “save target as…”, but if the customer purchases with a credit card via PayPal they don’t automatically get sent back to the website (they do if they use their paypal account to purchase), so it’s possible that some customers won’t see the Purchase Summary page.
What is the best way to handle this situation?
– Should I zip up the movie files so the web browsers will be forced to download instead of display the media files? The downside to this is we’d then have to teach some customers how to unzip a file. (at least you don’t need to download anything to unzip a file like in the old days
– Should I set up a separate page for each of the products with download links to the files? We’re launching with over 20 products, so that’s an extra 20 pages I’d have to build. I *could* put the download links on the product page and hide them in an APR. But either way the download links would not be encrypted at that point.
That leads to the questions/feature requests.
– Is there a way to put an encrypted product link on a web page like in the email or purchase summary page?
– Is there a way to put multiple APR calls in one page? We have both rental and download options. I already have a bunch of rental pages set up with APR, and thought it’d be nice to have a separate APR on the same page for the download.
ThanksJanuary 28, 2015 at 10:50 pm #68331wzpModerator
You need to tell Amazon S3 how to handle the media disposition for your files:
That way, clicking links from anywhere will result in the same behavior.
As for your APR questions:
* Is there a way to put an encrypted product link on a web page like in the email or purchase summary page?
* Is there a way to put multiple APR calls in one page?
You can use a “Download Now” button, for each product. Clicking the button will simultaneously generate an encrypted link and then perform the required (download or APR) action. You may want to tweak the button to say whatever you want.January 28, 2015 at 11:21 pm #68332icmSpectator
Adding content disposition>attachment in s3 seems to work. Thank you very much.July 21, 2015 at 2:52 pm #68333David ClayMember
I have a problem, after payment this plugin sent a link to see video but it not encrypted link, after few mins loaded it show link like this:http://example.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/demovideo.mp4. If link like that then customer can share link to any one can see it. Please let me know how to make link’s video protected?July 21, 2015 at 11:46 pm #68334adminKeymaster
Edit that eStore product and check the “Downloadable” field’s value. Do you have that option checked?
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.