July 17, 2012 at 9:49 am #6901
I’ve just discovered customers have stopped being added, stats have stopped and the download email isn’t being sent in to estore.
Everything has been working fine but it all seems to have stopped on the 11th of July.
So I have just updated to the latest version of the plugin to see if that helps.
I then put a transaction through and it’s still the same.
The transanction from a customers perspective is fine they are taken to the download page after the transaction, the only thing is the download email isn’t sent afterwards.
This is what the eStore_post_payment_debug.log shows:
[07/17/2012 8:40 AM] – Advisory : Log file reset.
[07/17/2012 9:05 AM] – SUCCESS :PayPal PDT received. Processing the request…
[07/17/2012 9:05 AM] – SUCCESS :Processing PayPal PDT…
[07/17/2012 9:05 AM] – SUCCESS :Saving transaction data for thank you page display.
[07/17/2012 9:05 AM] – SUCCESS :Checking if additional action data needs to be displayed on the Thank You page.
The ipn_handle_debug.log is empty
I have checked the sql database and it has stopped so that’s probably the reason estore doen’t show it on the front end.
PeteJuly 17, 2012 at 10:31 am #47390PeterMember
Sounds like it might be a DB column out of sync issue.
Please do what the following instructions say:July 17, 2012 at 11:27 am #47391
Thanks for the suggestion.
I hadn’t updated the plugin since I set it up in april.
So I updated it today when I was informed about the issue.
This was before making the post above to see if that would fix the issue.
Then I put the transaction through and it still didn’t show in the stats/ customer records.
Trying to work out if anything had changed on the 11th (when the issue started) and I’ve now realised I installed the wp affiliate platform.
Not sure how that could affect it but it does seem quite a coincedence.
PeteJuly 17, 2012 at 2:31 pm #47392
I have worked out what was causing the issue for anyone that may come across this issue in future.
Paypal had disabled the IPN so the details weren’t being sent back to estore so obviously the customers weren’t being added to the database.
I re-enabled the IPN in my PayPal account and everything is now fine.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.