March 23, 2014 at 7:53 pm #9614StarCircleAcademyMember
I’m trying to make the process really simple for my customers and I’d like to do the following:
I’d like to send my customers to a squeezebox form, or a purchase page but I’d like to pre-populate the First, Last, and email addresses based on what I already have in my MailChimp records.
In some cases they’ll end up getting a product discounted to zero dollars so the manual checkout will need to be pre-filled and/or by-passed. In some cases there will be a fee in which case the normal checkout process would occur. I’m thinking something along the lines of sending my customers a link like this:
In fact, I’d like it if the ONLY way that the customer can make such an order is if they use the pre-populated values that way they can’t pass the link to someone else who can use it for nefarious purposes.
A clever implementation would allow me to checksum or encrypt the link data so it can’t be messed with. A really clever implementation would allow me to send out links to a list of customers. (Sounds like an interesting add-on product!)
Ideas?March 24, 2014 at 3:54 pm #61826adminKeymaster
I don’t see a lot of value in auto-populating that form since it is a very small form already. Couldn’t you just send them to a page where there is a download now button for the product in question?
What is the benefit of going via a squeeze form (rather than a download now button) for your scenario?March 25, 2014 at 1:03 am #61827StarCircleAcademyMember
Reasons to autopopulate and NOT use a regular SqueezeForm:
1. If the form is auto populated there will be no opportunity for the user to mis-enter any details. Indeed, the fields can be immutable / display only.
2. There will be no additional user action except to “accept”. This also eliminates an attack vector.
3. The PDF stamping process will have all the data it needs to properly stamp the file.
4. I’ll have a clear record of the date and time (and what) the customer ordered.
5. Anyone who stumbles onto or is shared the page will NOT be able to abuse the form to get a free or nearly free product for themselves.
6. Download Now is anonymous – no client identification is collected.
7. With download now, there is no data to stamp the file with.
A logical extension of the “pre-populate” is to allow the user to do the entire ordering process by clicking a link in their email (and completing payment when applicable).
I see the pre-populated, immutable field method as a viable, non-exploitable way to offer special upgrades to my customers. Any other method short of unique, single use coupons per customer is vulnerable to abuse. Even single use coupons are subject to abuse: “Bill, I don’t think I wan’t to get the latest version, but you can use my coupon to pay half of the normal price to get this for yourself!”
In the course of writing this, I realize that the best method to pre-populate (for existing customers) is to use a Transaction ID as a key to verify (or look up) the name and email identification. Unfortunately I don’t have the TXid’s in my MailChimp list.
Unfortunately I also just realized that Download Now, Squeeze Form (or most other choices) do not allow “Variations”. Also both the squeeze form and Download NOW methods do not send the “Additional Product Specific Instructions”.March 25, 2014 at 5:52 am #61828adminKeymaster
In that case, it is probably better to create a new feature that does the following:
1) It lets your user download an item via a special text link
2) The link will look similar to the following:
3) It does a check in the customers menu to see what the user purchased then it sends the encrypted download link for the appropriate products.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.