April 30, 2011 at 4:30 pm #3292
I have one member who can log in, but can’t see any content. They subscribed just over a month ago, and Paypal hit them up for a payment a couple of days ago. All seems well.
But when I looked at the list of members, there was nothing showing in the column “Membership Level.” But when I looked at their account, it showed correctly they were “Active” and assigned to the “Paid Subscriber” membership level.
After they notified me, I saw all this, and when into their account and saved it again. It then displayed correctly in the list of members. I thought it was fixed.
But they just logged in again, and still can’t access anything. When I check the list again, they again show nothing under “Membership Level.”
Any idea what’s going on?
Kinda urgent… Thanks!May 1, 2011 at 12:43 am #31881
Have you made any modification to the plugin code? Did you upgrade the plugin and forget to do a deactivate and reactivate? Try getting a fresh version of the plugin from here and then edit the member profile and let me know if you still get the problem whereby the saved membership level doesn’t stick:May 2, 2011 at 1:19 pm #31882
3) OKMay 2, 2011 at 5:27 pm #31883
That didn’t fix it. Now using Version v6.3.9.
Also deactivated Google Analyticator after seeing it on your conflicting plugins list. No difference.May 2, 2011 at 5:44 pm #31884
This is now affecting three users.
I have noticed something else as well. I have 3 membership levels. One is “Free” one is “Paid” and one is “Comped.” I have “Secondary Memberships” enabled, but these are paying subscribers only – they should only have “Paid” selected.
Every time I go in to edit the user account, it has “Comped” shown in the drop down and “Paid” checked. I change the drop down to “Paid” and then deselect “Comped.” But as soon as the user logs in again, it switches back to “Comped” in the drop down.
Why would it add a membership level? Why would it change the default membership level?
Please advise!May 2, 2011 at 5:58 pm #31885
Update: this is now the default behavior. Nobody can access my site. Even my test account shows “Content is Restricted.”
I am effectively down!May 2, 2011 at 6:40 pm #31886
Update: as I said, I have three levels of membership. I had carefully made sure that all pages are protected, and that “Comped” and “Paid” have access to all restricted content–only a couple of pages are available to “Free” members only.
I’m now looking thru my site, and all protected pages are now showing access only for “Paid” level.
So we have a double whammy here. My pages are losing membership restrictions and my members are losing membership access!
HELP!May 3, 2011 at 1:02 am #31887
Do you have any “Auto Upgrade” option enabled from the “Auto Upgrade” tab of eMember. Some times people create auto upgrade paths then they forget about it and doesn’t realize that the plugin is automatically upgrading the membership level. Is this happening in your case?May 3, 2011 at 7:23 pm #31888
No. All three membership levels have “No Auto Promote” under “Promote To.”
However, the Paid level had “30” under days after start date. I don’t recall putting it there, not sure where it came from.
Even if this were causing the odd behavior for member accounts, what’s going on with the page restrictions?May 4, 2011 at 1:16 am #31889
I will send you an email to get site access and check it out.May 4, 2011 at 12:56 pm #31890
form submittedMay 6, 2011 at 4:43 am #31891
I have done some testing on your site and have come to the conclusion that your auto upgrade setup you had there was messing up the membership levels before. Now that you have turned off the “auto upgrade” stuff (since you are not using it) its working fine.May 6, 2011 at 5:41 pm #31892
Thanks for your help. What I don’t understand is how it happened…
When I first set up the site, I wanted users to be able to access only the month(s) of content they paid for. This required having a new membership level for every month. So I setup 24 different levels and configured it so each month’s level auto upgraded to the next month’s level. I figured that would hold me for 2 years…
When I realized that was just WAY too complicated and painful to manage, I went to a flat subscription model, with a single subscription level. You pay, you’re in, you can see everything; when you stop paying, you’re out. Done.
So I removed all those monthly levels, and added one called “Paid.” I also have one called “Comped” so I can give free access to friends, etc, and tell the difference, and I have a “Free” level for future use, that I’m not really using now.
Somehow the level “Paid”, even though it was set to “No Auto Promote”, got a “30” under “After # of Days From the Subscription Start Date” — so after 30 days paid users were being bumped to a new level…but I guess it didn’t know where to bump them TO, so it just used the first level in the drop down list, which happened to be “Comped”. This could spell real trouble if “Paid” was every limited and then that first level was “All Access” – no one would ever complain about that!
I guess the lesson here is if you stop doing Auto Promote, make sure all fields are empty in the “# of Days” column.
Again, thanks for your help.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.